Explaining Time Tracking
Explain the benefits of time tracking
Time Tracking is the process of recording, managing and reporting hours worked by an employee on a particular project or job. It comes with a lot of benefits not only to the employer but also to the employee as well. This increases the businesses productivity. Here are a few benefits:
• Allow you to know what to pay employees. Tracking your workers time efficiently and accurately means they will be paid exactly what they have rightfully earned, nothing less and nothing more.
• It keeps your employees on track. Workers knowing that their time is being tracked will help keep them focused on their jobs for long stretches, increasing productivity and satisfaction to the customers.
• Helps employers maintain a paper trail. Monitoring your employee’s working habits and tasks also gives you a reliable paper trail if you ever need to prove the hours spent on a job.
• Learning points of inefficiency. Collecting insights from your time tracking data, enables you to determine sources of inefficiency within your company and correct them, making your business more efficient.
• Time tracking saves time. The time-tracking software also means your employees will spend less time messing with an ineffective system.
If you want to implement a time tracking system into your company, here are some setup guidelines to make it easier.
Setup 1: Planning
You may have heard this saying: “Failing to plan is planning to fail.” For smooth implementation, it’s best to spend some time planning. Organization and planning makes a massive difference in a project’s outcome. For software system installation, planning is crucial. Document your business policies and work rules. This will make your configuring solution much more comfortable. It’s also an excellent idea to schedule consultations with your employment law attorney to review your payroll processes and work rules. Doing this ensures they comply with all applicable regulations and laws. It’s evident that laws change every day. Procedures that were previously OK some years back may no longer be acceptable. Conduct an internal audit regularly to ensure that you comply with the latest rules.
Implementation of a new time tracking solution provides a fitting opportunity for a wage and hour internal audit. If a change to your procedures is necessary due to changed regulations, you can quickly roll these updates into the overall system implementation.
Setup 2: COMMUNICATION
Make sure your workers and supervisors are aware of your plans. A new time and attendance system may have an impact on their paychecks, and by this, they are bound to be concerned. If the implementation takes time, you may consider holding periodic information sessions. This includes posting project status progress on the employee bulletin board, company internet, community site or updates in the employee newsletter.
Make sure your communications runs both way and also ask for suggestions. Your workers may be aware of issues you missed, so listen carefully and do your best to address any potential problems quickly. By dealing with your employee’s concerns up front, you can avert problems before they happen, and speed the acceptance of the new system.
Setup 3: TRAINING SUPERVISORS AND EMPLOYEES
Before you implement the new solution, ensure all employees, supervisors have been trained. This is done so that they know how to make full use of the system’s features. A short training session presents an excellent opportunity to reinforce awareness of your policies regarding the time tracking systems, timeliness and other issues. With a time tracking software like Timeero, you will need to go into depth. Focus on the ways the system will assist them to get paid more accurately or do their jobs better. The more the employees and supervisors understand the benefits the system brings to them, the more they will quickly adopt the new system.
Setup 4: MONITORING / FEEDBACK
Once the system is implemented, monitor its performance. Are there any bottlenecks? Do you get any complaints from your employees about inconveniences or any other issues? Is the system working as you would want it? Are the features of the time tracking app beneficial to your company?
Setup 5: ADJUSTING
Lastly, based on what you learn from the feedback step and monitoring, make adjustments. This means installing additional terminals, placing them in separate locations, modifying the system configuration or making other changes to address identified issues.
Make sure employees
For effective time tracking in your company, you as the employer must ensure specific things are done. This helps maximize the benefits of tracking time in the company increasing productivity. You must make sure that:
1. Employees are kept on the same platform. For your organization to function correctly, you need to get workers to work using the same platform and consistently use it. If you have multiple people using different tracking methods, everything will get confused and chaotic. Access an administrative user level, where you can view and monitor every employee’s time tracking information.
2. Choose a platform that can be used everywhere, and easily. Not every time tracking platform is equally useful for different applications. Research wisely and choose a platform that is easy to learn and use, nothing that requires extensive training sessions. Implement a platform that can be used on any device, phones. Preferably, workers should be able to start and stop their time tracking in seconds, no matter what they’re doing. The faster the process, the fewer mistakes there will be.
3. Outline your policies and procedures. Take time to outline exactly how the software should be used, and what your expectations for your workers are. What tasks need to be tracked? Are there specific formatting requirements that should be followed, such as ways to organize jobs? Think ahead and be proactive, the more specific you are, the better.
4. Watch out for outliers. Your employees will eventually settle into a routine. Tasks will take predictable amounts of time, and different workers will offer different rates of completion. Keep an eye out for strange outliers tasks that take a long time or that don’t. This helps you pinpoint problems or opportunities for growth.
Reward employees for tracking time
Your employees need the motivation to work their level best and strive for greatness. They need to be recognized for good work done and high productivity. This keeps them satisfied at the office and boosts your employee retention rates. But how can this be accomplished? Some organizations are a bit skeptical about how much difference a reward scheme can make to their business. However, utilizing an employee reward program increases your employee’s productivity which in turn increases your business overall profit and sales. You can reward them by:
Praise a worker for good work won’t cost you anything. Using praise is the simplest way to show employees that you care and they will appreciate that. A thank you note or a private conversation shows how much you appreciate an employee’s effort means a lot.
Giving out gift cards once in a while to a local sandwich shop or a popular coffee chain is an appropriate and a thoughtful gift that won’t break the bank.
A worker goes beyond and above in his daily duties and they’ve exceeded what you had expected from them. Why should you not give them an early leave that day? If a worker stayed late at night putting necessary finishing touches on a particular job or project, let the employee come in an hour or two later the next day so they can catch up on their sleep.
Ask for feedback and address any concerns
Your employees are the biggest experts on your business. This is because they work with the finer points of your business, day after day. Their feedback is invaluable to making good decisions and adjustments. Keep checking in with them to see how your crew members are adjusting to time tracking. If they have any problems, issues or suggestions, use that feedback to improve your system. The easier it is for them, the more likely it is that they’ll stick with the habit! It’s an excellent opportunity to show your team that their input and opinion is valued greatly by the management. Also, when you start analyzing the time tracking data, include your employees in the process. Together you’ll have a better chance of discovering things that could be done differently.
Time tracking allows you to monitor and manage your team’s projects and activities. Your overall understanding of how time is spent will improve so you can control your business more efficiently.